If you are looking to do some night time running and trying to be safe while doing it, then the chances are you’ll want to have a head torch with you when doing it.
That said, it can get annoying and tiresome to have to constantly hold a torch in your hand, and wearing a body torch can have its own problems. This Fenix HL60R UK head torch review will show all the merits of using the FENIX HL60R as an option when running at night.
Many runners who prefer to get their runs in by night or do a bit of trail running opt for head torches such as the FENIX HL60R, which attach around one’s head with a headband.
There are several pros and cons to using this head torch in particular, depending on what your goals and expectations are.
FENIX HL60R Pros
One of the first things to note about this unit on the positive side is the brightness and lifespan.
The Fenix HL60R has a maximum lifespan of 50,000 hours, ensuring that it will last for quite a few runs without ever needing a recharge.
The unit itself is quite bright, featuring a maximum brightness of 950 lumens, a highly respected figure. In addition, this Fenix HL60R head torch is also rather easy to charge as it features a Micro USB port for that purpose.
It also comes with a button selector for switching between the white and red lights featured by the unit. These can be used for different light levels, with the red light ideal for people doing map reading at night.
The Fenix HL60R head torch is not just for running, either.
The unit is waterproof up to two metres underwater as it is IPX-8, making it a great choice for those looking to do a bit of shallow undersea snorkelling.
- Turbo: 950 lumens – 48 mins runtime
- High: 400 lumens – 3 hrs runtime
- Mid: 150 lumens – 10 hrs runtime
- Low: 50 lumens – 29 hrs runtime
- Eco: 5 lumens – 100 hrs runtime
- Red Light: 1 lumen – 100 hrs runtime
FENIX HL60R Cons
There are a couple of things to be aware of when it comes to this head torch offering from FENIX.
It does not come with its own case. Which can be a pain for some as you would be forgiven for thinking that a head torch of this price would have its own protective case.
It also comes with a wide beam which is great when running as you can see everything within your peripheral vision but not great when fishing or hunting.
Toggling between light modes when out and about can also seem a bit cumbersome.
Should You Buy the Fenix HL60R?
The HL60R is an offering from Fenix that delivers on a neat, highly affordable package for those looking for a head torch for running purposes with a few extra features.
As long as you are aware of the wide beam on the LED bulbs and can work out how to toggle between the light modes on the go, it’s worth a punt.
Press and hold the side switch for 0.5 seconds to turn ON/OFF the headlamp.
With the lamp on, click the switch to cycle through Turbo→Red light→Eco→Low→Mid→High.
Intelligent Memory Circuit
The headlamp remembers the last-used brightness level, the next time it is turned on, it will recall that previously used brightness level.
Battery Level Indicator
Click the switch when the lamp is off, the battery indicator will be on for three seconds:
- White LED flashes: more than 70% remaining
- White LED and two Red LEDs flash alternately: 30% – 70%
- Two Red LEDs flash: less than 30% remaining.
With the lamp on, the two red LEDs will flash at 1Hz when battery capacity is less than 20%. If red constant-on is being used, then the two red LEDs will flash. If white light is being used, then the two red LEDs will flash along with the white light lit on. Please recharge the lamp or change battery ASAP when warning occurs.
- Plug the USB port of the charging cable into any USB power supplier, then uncover the anti-dust cap, plug the Micro USB port of the charging cable into the charging port of the headlamp.
- The two red LEDs will flash simultaneously at 0.5Hz when in the charging process. The normal charging time of the Fenix ARB-L18-2600 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery is about four hours. The two red LEDs will be constant-on when charging is completely done.
- Once charging is completed, be sure to plug the anti-dust cap cover.
- Please recharge a stored headlamp every four months to maintain optimum performance of the battery.
Unscrew the battery cap to insert the battery with the correct directions of the battery anode, screw the battery cap back on.
Headlamp Strap Assembling
Notice: The headlamp strap is factory default assembled.
- Slide the buckle to adjust the headband length as wanted for size.
- First, fasten the headband to the headlamp holder, and then attach the headband to the headlamp holder and top headband mount for additional stability.
Usage and Maintenance
- Disassembling the sealed head can cause damage to the headlamp and will void the warranty.
- Long-term use can result in O-ring wear. To maintain a proper water seal, replace the ring with an approved spare.
- Periodic cleaning of the battery contacts improves the performance of the headlamp as dirty contacts may cause the headlamp to flicker, shine intermittently or even fail to illuminate for the following reasons:
Reason A: The batteries need replacing.
Solution: Replace batteries (please confirm the correct installation of anode and cathode).
Reason B: The threads, PCB board contact or other contacts are dirty.
Solution: Clean the contact points with a cotton swab soaked in rubbing alcohol.
FENIX HL60R Head Torch
Powered by one 18650 Li-ion battery or two CR123A batteries9.0/10
5 Brightness Levels9.0/10
Tough Aluminium Unibody8.0/10
Ideal for hiking & Camping8.0/10
removable Battery Option8.5/10
- IPX-8 Waterproof
- Easy to Charge
- Long Battery Lifespan - 50,000 hours
- Awkward Light Toggle Button
- Wide Beam